This spicy protein shake tastes like the batter from a sticky date pudding. I know it doesn’t contain any dates, but it is the combination of the prunes, peanut butter, spices and apple just works. The shake contains about 10 grams of fibre and will help keep you feeling full for longer.
With around 390 calories, it is a bit higher than what I would normally recommend for a protein snack, but is great as a quick breakfast or lunch.
Buy a heap of apples and prepare them, then store them in a sealed bag in the freezer, so they are ready to go whenever the urge takes hold. I also keep my ginger in the freezer. I lasts for months and is easy to grate when frozen.
- 1 small green apple, washed, cored & chopped into chunks. Leave skin on (frozen if prepared)
- 1/4 cup dried, pitted prunes
- 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root (i keep mine in the freezer)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (don’t leave this out!)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Vanilla Pea Protein)
- 3/4 cup chilled water
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until well blended.
- These numbers will vary depending upon Protein Powder used.
- 390 calories
- 28 grams protein
- 9 grams fat
- 50 grams carbohydrates
- 60 grams fibre